1. Don’t criticize, condemn or complain. 2. Give honest, sincere appreciation. 3. Arouse in the other person an eager want. 4. Become genuinely interested in other people. 5. Smile. 6. Remember that a person’s name is to that person the sweetest and most important sound in any language. 7. Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves. 8. Talk in terms of the other person’s interests. 9. Make the other person feel important - and do it sincerely.
“Mozart, Pascal, Boolean algebra, Shakespeare, parliamentary government, baroque churches, Newton, the emancipation of women, Kant, Balanchine ballets, et al. don’t redeem what this particular civilization has wrought upon the world. The white race is the cancer of human history.”—
This is disgusting, racist, factually incorrect, and pointless.
I’m ambivalent about it. Reading about the North American holocausts, the slave trade, every war that’s happened since then, makes me agree with it at times. It’s not racist,—it lacks the power to be called racist—it’s just unkind. And the point of it, for me, is to remember that the internalized white supremacy that I feel is bullshit. The master race is the cancer of human history.
1. It is racist by definition. I don’t care how much “power” you think some words have. Calling any “race” the “cancer of human history” is “racist” by definition.
2. Non-“white” individuals were just as guilty of slavery, war, violence, etc. as “white” individuals. Every region on Earth, every people, all humanity from Nordic clans to Indian padi-states to South American tribes to pre-colonial African civilizations engaged in slavery and war. This is a human thing, not a “race” thing.
3. Human history does not consist of “races” - it is the story of one species, broken down into genes and individuals and millions of autonomous groups.
4. Self-hatred is not going to solve anything. Advocating racism is not going to solve anything. Repeating racial slurs (like saying X “race is the cancer of human history”) is not going to solve anything. Further promoting the concept of race is not going to solve anything. It’s dumb.